Sunday, August 11, 2013

So you want to be a teacher (for the Peace Corps in Liberia)?

I’ve been reflecting on model school this week, and I’ve realized just how many lessons I learned in my small class these last three weeks.  Enjoy this list :)

1.       Always plan extra on the end of your lessons.  Running out of time is uncomfortable.

2.       If in doubt, ask one of your Liberian students to repeat something you just said back to the class. Their Liberian English is much better than yours will ever be.

3.       Chalkboards are a pain to write on.  To all of my teachers in early elementary who used the chalkboard, kudos to you.  This knock-off chalk is something else…

4.       Always bring an extra “duster” (eraser) with you to class. They disappear faster than LD from your pocket on a trip to Monrovia.

5.       Do not – I repeat, do not – forget to greet your class.  No matter how much of a rush you’re in, they will be offended if you do not say “Good Morning, 10th grade” first thing.

6.       On that note, be sure to speak with your students outside of class.  If you pass them in the market or on the road and forget to greet them, they will be vexed with you the following class period.  (And I didn’t even see the girl who was so upset with me…I need to be more watchful, I guess.

7.       Giving students “the look” can make them be quiet almost instantly.  I never had to use a student’s name to call them out.

8.       On that note, Liberian students are afraid to be shamed.  If you want to effectively punish a class, shame them (or the offending student).  They will respect you for it the next day, and your class can move forward as it should.  (When I say shame them, call them out individually, or as one volunteer suggested, just leave class.  They will be so bummed about missing out on that class they will behave the next day.) 

9.       Class periods are 45 minutes.  In reality, that is not much time, and you will spend most of it writing notes on the board.  Liberian students do not have text books; therefore, the only information they have is what you provide to them on the board.  Take time to do this, though – it is very important.

10.   Diagrams are super important.  That being said, it is also super important that you teach a Liberian student how to draw a diagram.  If you don’t, their arrow to the cell membrane could very easily be pointing to the nucleus, and they wouldn’t realize the problems that can cause.

All in all, teaching here is radically different from teaching in the States.  It’s not a bad thing, but it does take some getting used to.  American students are used to procedures that Liberian students are not used to, and it takes time to introduce these things to Liberian students.  My classroom management has improved tremendously, and I have become more confident in my abilities to teach science at the high school level.  If anything, this has allowed me to really review this material, and that’s been very helpful.

Much love to you all,

Miss Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment