Wednesday, June 26, 2013

So you want to send me a letter?

So I have had a few questions about how/where to send a letter or package, and I want to make sure it is clear to everyone!

To mail me a package, pack up a box and ship it to:

Caitlin Moore, Volunteer
Peace Corps
Post Office Box 707
Monrovia, Liberia
West Africa

Some volunteers have found that it works best if you put a few Bible verses or religious sayings on the sides of the boxes – I think the mail ladies may feel bad if they steal a box that has a religious meaning.  (Examples I’ve seen include cross pictures, John 3:16, “Praise Jesus!”, etc.)  Also, when filling out the customs form, please do not overestimate on the cost of the items inside.  Put prices on the low side, or not at all.  Also, if you are shipping something that may be seen as valuable or expensive, please do not list it.  (Volunteers have had issues with packages not arriving or being ripped open, with items missing.) 

It is easiest to do this in a flat-rate box, for a package, but you are welcome to ship any size package you want! Letters can also go to this address, and I would love to hear from you! J

What can you send me?  Here is a list of suggestions!
Note:  PLEASE double bag all food items in Ziploc bags or something similar.  It helps deter any rats that may be lurking in the package room at the post office.

  • Stickers (to put on deserving students’ papers)
  • Pens – blue, black, or red.  The pens here are cheap, and the students are always asking to borrow pens.
  • Children’s books
  • Puzzle books – crosswords, etc.
  • Nebraska items – I will represent our great state as best I can!
  • Food items (double bagged):
    • Old El Paso "Tortilla Stuffers"
    • Individual drink mixes
    • Canned/packaged tuna or chicken - Chicken of the Sea, etc.
    • Oatmeal cream pies
    • Cookies
    • Twizzlers
    • Tootsie Rolls
    • Granola Bars
    • Dried fruit
    • Fruit snacks
    • Goldfish crackers
    • Beef/turkey jerky

Feel free to add anything else you may think I could use – if I can’t use it, I will be sure to find someone who will!

If you are unable to write, please send me an email!  I miss all of you!

UPDATE:  Letters will take 2-3 weeks to get to Monrovia or so, and packages will take 4-6 weeks, at minimum.  It takes time, but I think it's worth it :) 

Caitlin

2 comments:

  1. Did they say about how long it will take to get there? Package or letter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I updated the post -- 2-3 weeks for a letter, 4-6 weeks for a package. :)

      Delete