Thursday, June 6, 2013

Welcome!

Well here we are.  I am just days away from leaving for my service with the Peace Corps.  This process has been long, but I can already tell how fulfilling this experience will be.  I am excited to return to West Africa and finally meet the volunteers traveling to Liberia with me!

I hope this blog can serve as a way for you to keep in touch with me during my 27 months abroad.  As you can see on the side bar, there are many ways to get in touch with me!  Feel free to comment on here, send me an email, or follow me on Twitter!  I also am able to receive mail, however, please keep in mind that this service does take quite a while and is not always 100% reliable.

Currently, I am in the process of packing and preparing for my travels.  I have the big backpack, all of my vitamins, new sandals, and some teaching supplies; now the question is how much can I pack before I hit the 50 pound mark on each bag?  This weekend will be the test of that!  :)

Many of you are probably wondering what it is I will be doing during my time abroad.  My service is for 27 months, and it starts on Monday, June 17.  That day, I fly to Philadelphia and complete a day of pre-service training.  On Tuesday, we fly out of NYC to Ghana and from there, we fly into Liberia (arriving on Wednesday afternoon).

During the first three months of my service, I will live with a host family in Liberia to become fully immersed in the country’s language and culture. After acquiring the language and cultural skills necessary to assist my community, I will be sworn into service and be assigned to a community in Liberia, where I will live and work for two years with the local people.

Additionally, here is some additional information about the Peace Corps and their history with Liberia, in case you're curious!  (This was taken from a press release about another volunteer who will be serving in Liberia.)

"Nearly 3,980 Peace Corps volunteers have served in Liberia since the program was established in 1962. Currently, 63 volunteers serve in Liberia. Volunteers work in the area of education. Volunteers are trained and work in the following languages: Liberian English, Kpelle, Mano/Gio, Gola, Via and Mano.

Liberia was founded by freed American slaves, first settled in 1817. Its capital is Monrovia, named for the United States president James Monroe who helped establish the first colony there.

Since President John F. Kennedy established the Peace Corps by executive order on March 1, 1961, more than 210,000 Americans have served in 139 host countries. Today, 8,073 volunteers are working with local communities in 76 host countries in agriculture, community economic development, education, environment, health and youth in development. Peace Corps volunteers must be U.S. citizens and at least 18 years of age. Peace Corps service is a 27-month commitment and the agency’s mission is to promote world peace and friendship and a better understanding between Americans and people of other countries."

Again, thank you so much for checking out my blog!  I hope this serves as a way for you to learn a little more about a beautiful country and to keep in touch with me!

I'm thinking of all of you,
Caitlin



1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! i'm so excited for you!! this will be a wonderful learning opportunity for you and i can't wait to read about all of your adventures!! you will do AWESOME things over there!!!
    i hope sal gave you my letters! ;)
    see you in 27 months! :)
    love you!

    ReplyDelete