Wednesday, July 10, 2013

That PST Grind

I have survived my first weekend with my host family!  It was interesting, to say the least, but I am grateful for all the lessons they have taught me in the past seven days.  My sisters are wonderful, and the neighborhood kids are great – every day with them all is an adventure!

Friday was our very official naming ceremony; all of us had one family representative come to Doe Palace and name us in front of the group.  I have been named Mama Qulleh (pronounced Quell-ay) – literally, this means “white mother.”  I told my family that I am not a mother and they informed me that this name simply means that I have a white mother.  Interesting to say the least, but I will run with it for now.  Once we get to site, it is likely I will be given another name that I will go by. (I’m still debating if I will go by Miss Moore in the classroom or if I’ll go by Miss (insert new African name here)).

Saturday brought with it a full day of work.  I woke up, ate breakfast, and did my laundry.  What a production.  My sister insisted that I wash my clothes twice – once with a washboard, and again with powder soap and hand-scrubbed.  Then they were rinsed and hung up on the line to dry.  I think these clothes are the cleanest they have ever been – I’m grateful for my sister, that’s for sure.  Then we ate some lunch, and headed to the market to pick up groceries for dinner.  An hour later, we were back at home – and I was burnt to a crisp.  My sisters and the neighborhood children were laughing at me…I still don’t think they understand the concept of a sunburn. 

Sunday brought a pretty lazy day; there was a church service on the porch of a building next door, so I was able to sit on my porch, read for class, and listen to church all at the same time.  It was interesting, to say the least, and after three hours, I was exhausted.  The music was beautiful, though – nothing like some acapella hymns to get things going on a Sunday morning.  Sunday afternoon, the kids in my neighborhood had fun posing for pictures and putting on dramas for me.  I have taped a few with my camera, and we have been watching them at night…they really seem to enjoy that, and it’s fun to laugh with them :)

This week has been busy with training and preparing for model school next week.  For the next three weeks, we will be teaching every day and then having additional sessions in the afternoon back at our training center.  I have been assigned to teach 10th grade biology; luckily, the 10th grade class is split into two sections, and I am able to co-plan with another Peace Corps Trainee for the three weeks of class.  We are covering the parts of a cell, its function, and the types of cells.  Because of our lack of resources/board space/etc, we are able to cover just one chapter in three weeks.  It’s pretty crazy to think about, but I know I’ll get used to it in time.  Class periods are 45 minutes long and I’m expecting my class to have anywhere from 30-50 students.  Wish me luck!

Tonight is our weekly night at Doe Palace.  On the schedule is an early dinner and then a movie night – we are busy choosing between Pitch Perfect, Office Space, and Snatch.  My vote is Pitch Perfect, but we will see what wins.  Also, this weekend is our trip to Monrovia – wish me luck!

I hope you are all well back home – stay cool out there.  :)  And Happy (late) Birthday, Mom!

Much love,

Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment