Friday, May 9, 2014

Beans, beans, beans.

Sarah and I have started eating lunch daily on our campus.  It is convenient for us to have a more relaxing morning and we get to eat delicious Liberian food, so I would say it’s a double bonus :)  The Ole Ma who is cooking for us lives near our house; every time we are walking to the road, we pass by and always receive a chorus of hellos from everyone living there. 

The Ma knows that our favorite meal is her country beans – they are so simple, but by far our favorite option there.  She puts fish in every meal she serves…sometimes it is bony, or dried fish, and other times it is fresh fish.  Both are tasty, and I never worry about which it will be.

She cooks other soups, as well, and one of the most interesting ones to me is cassava leaf.  During our training and while I was living at home stay, cassava leaf soup was my least favorite.  Something about the flavor and the scent of the soup made it “not too sweet” to me…  Now, however, I don’t mind it so much and it is another one of my favorite soups by her.  To be honest, though, I would say that any soup of hers is my favorite these days.

Cassava leaf...yum!

This meal was sent from heaven to the Ole Ma.  Country beans are the best.)

She is a sight for sore eyes when we arrive to campus, and I can’t believe it took us this long to figure out she cooks on campus.  She knows us better than many in Pleebo, and I am grateful for her sustenance during those long days at school. 

No comments:

Post a Comment